Golf Tips with Bobby Lopez

Constant updates on new golf tips to improve your golf game! I post any new methods we used to resolve a specific golf swing fault. I'm always searching for a better way to communicate improvements in our student's golf games. As an added bonus we have golf comedy clips from our radio show on ESPN and tips for doing business while on the golf course. Golf is the game of business...start golf networking!

Friday, February 10, 2012

If You Get This You Could Be Breaking 80 Consistently!

You might have seen this on Youtube but I've had this video well before it ever went on Youtube.  This used to be an obscure video of Ben Hogan visiting some friends where he demonstrated his technique for swinging in very slow motion on the beach.  Why practice in slow motion?  Well I guess you can feel every movement and send signals to the brain telling it where you want to be at every step.

The BIG key here is this!  Notice during the slow motion portion how much shoulder tilt Ben incorporates and how much he over emphasizes it.  He literally backs up during the "under" motion of the shoulders.  This is the one BIG key that most golfers do NOT get.  The shoulders have to turn parallel to the same plane as the golf club path!  See my Blog entry for December 8th for a training video on turning your shoulders through the impact area.

Another BIG key!  Notice how Ben also performs his waggle in slow motion.  The waggle in the old days was a rhythm exercise.  It kept you loose and set the pace for your swing tempo.  Today the waggle is a rehearsal for the initial path of the golf club on the take-a-way.  The players are more mechanical today and build their swings more for power than accuracy or consistency.

Please hang in their until he reaches the portion on the video where he swings in slow motion.  It's worth it.  Now hereeeeeeeeee's Benny!






2 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Hokieskin said...

Thanks Bobby, I had not seen this Hogan video before.
Comments:
It looked to me that he was stretching to the ball with his arms out straight with the shaft and then comes us flatter and back more than you want us too. Also, I didn't see him tilt his shoulders on the way down like you show us. Is this because he is already tilted from the beginning and keeps it there?
-- Hokieskin.

 
At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Hokieskin said...

OK, I relooked at the video for shoulder tilt. I think I see it, but it looks like he is bringing his right elbow down and in close to his chest as the move while he is coming through. I didn't see a tilt first and then come through as I was expecting and as I thought you were teaching. A more of an all together move?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home